Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Awesome Supper on a Frigid Night

Okay.  I'll admit that sometimes I use this blog to help me remember different things that I've done with the woodburning cookstove, and I definitely want to remember tonight's supper.  It was AWESOME!  So awesome that I once again neglected to get pictures, confound it anyway.

At about 2:00 this afternoon, I put a small pork loin in our little blue enamel roaster in order to make Boiled Cider Glazed Pork Loin.  Only it is so very cold today that I just couldn't bear to close the oven door, so I decided to cook the pork loin using this method for slow cooking, putting the roaster directly on the oven floor in the back left corner with the oven door left open.

When I got home from speech practice (yes, I'm coaching again even though I'm no longer teaching full time) and finished chores, I roasted some small homegrown red potatoes--in the electric oven in the basement to try to get some heat down there to prevent frozen water pipes--and made candied carrots on the cookstove top.

The pork loin was the most tender one I've ever cooked, was quite succulent, and was great in combination with the potatoes and carrots.  So now I sit blogging in the warm glow of the antique Rayo oil lamp with a full and satisfied belly, listening to the wind howl outside and shivering at the knowledge that at the last examination of the outdoor thermometer the red line had shrunk down to -12ºF.

Thank you, Lord, for your blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Jim,

    I'm glad you're safe and warm. It has been cold across the Midwest, and I am sure western Iowa is not an exception.

    I'm glad, too, your pork loin turned out well. What are you burning in Marjorie these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brett! Glad to hear from you.

      During this cold snap we've been burning mostly elm with a little bit of cedar mixed in occasionally. I've probably burned more elm than anything else in my woodburning career, and I like it because it burns hot and stays dry better than other woods. We also have a lot of it available since many of the elms in our area have suffered from disease.

      Delete