Saturday, May 22, 2021

The End of the '20 - '21 Heating Season

 Just wanted to drop a quick post for record keeping purposes.  We turned on the electric water heater this morning after turning it off on August 31 of 2020.  I would have liked to hold out until June 1st, but two things happened.  The first is that Nancy and I received our Johnson and Johnson Covid-19 vaccination yesterday, and we haven't been feeling too perky today.  Our internal thermostats have been a little wacky, as a result, which brings me to the second thing.  We've had a lot of rain here lately, and the humidity was running very high overnight and this morning.  Thus, the idea of starting a fire for hot water just didn't sound at all appealing today, so we caved.  I don't regret it a bit.  The last thing I want from my wood cookstove is to be enslaved by it, so it was a wise choice.

School will be out after Thursday of this coming week, so I'm hoping to start cooking in the summer kitchen soon.  Look out for future posts centering around the Hayes-Custer!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't followed your blog in a bit, so I'm behind. Do you have a second wood stove for your summer kitchen? I would love that. I have a lovely new induction cooktop in the new kitchen, but I can't wait for the fall so I can get back to cooking on our Findlay Oval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jessie!
    Yes, I have a second cookstove out in the summer kitchen. We moved the summer kitchen up to just a few feet outside the backdoor of the house. You can see pictures of that here:

    http://woodcookstovecooking.blogspot.com/2019/04/moving-summer-kitchen.html

    We replaced the green and cream Riverside Bakewell with the Hayes-Custer due to the Riverside's broken oven hinge. You can read about the Hayes-Custer in a number of posts, but here is the one where I first started using it last summer:

    http://woodcookstovecooking.blogspot.com/2020/06/using-hayes-custer-range-in-summer.html

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete