Sunday, April 30, 2017

New Brownie Recipe for the Wood Cookstove

I'm really embarrassed at how much I enjoy brownies from box mixes.  However, we don't often buy them, and sometimes I am in a hurry.  In the February 15th edition of the Farm Bureau Spokesman, there was a recipe for brownies that caught my eye.  I've made (or helped make, depending on the situation) six batches of these brownies since the recipe came out, and of course, I've been tweaking the recipe too, and I think I'm finally happy with the result.  This recipe makes an extra large batch of brownies and is quick because you don't have to melt chocolate, butter, or shortening.  They're perfect for people in a hurry who don't have a brownie mix on hand.

Here is what you do:

1. Build your fire so that you will have a moderate oven (350º F).



2. Beat 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, 2/3 cup canola oil, and 4 eggs together.  I have used four duck eggs in each batch, and they have been superb.



3. Mix in 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. burnt sugar flavoring, and 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon baking cocoa (I used extra rich baking cocoa purchased from an Amish bulk food store in the pictures that you see here.)


4. Add 2 cups sifted flour.


5. Pour the brownie batter into a greased 10" x 14" baking pan.  (I've learned that some people call these "lasagna pans.")


6. Sprinkle two handfuls of chocolate chips over the batter in the pan.



7. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a moderate oven or until they test done.  The brownies will puff up quite a bit, but don't worry.  As long as you take them out in time, they will fall within a few minutes of being removed from the oven and have the chewy texture that we all expect in a brownie. 



Usually, I like to frost brownies, but I've never frosted these, and I've never felt the lack.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Great recipe! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your loyal readership, Robin!

      Delete
  2. The picture looks like these were baked in your regular oven - not your wood cookstove? They sure do look yummy - thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, these were baked in the Margin Gem. Our weather has been awful the last few days--cold, rainy, and windy--so the wood cookstove was going at full tilt to keep us warm.

      Thanks for the comment, though. It tells me that I need to be sure to take the photos with wider camera angles to prove that I'm using the wood cookstove! ;)

      Delete
    2. Such a beautiful oven! I am so used to how ours looks - we heat with our 1924 Charter Oak - the oven is small and dark.

      Delete
  3. Jim, just wanted to contact you to let you know that I have just purchased a Kineo B stove for our new house. We moved a year ago and had to leave our Glenwood cabinet stove behind. So I am in the process of re-starting my new blog. We will be remodeling our kitchen to accommodate the Kineo. Probably won't be until fall before it gets fired up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I hope it wasn't too difficult to leave the Glenwood behind, and I hope the new owners appreciate (and use) what they've got. Be sure to send pictures and let me know when you are up and running again!

      Delete