Tuesday, October 23, 2012

In Hot Water, Part III

Wow!  The posts about heating water with a wood cookstove have generated a great deal of interest over the past few days, and I've received some great questions. 

I'm going to do something a little different with this post.  I've spent an embarrassing amount of time reading information about how to heat the domestic hot water supply with a wood cookstove, but it was because of my research that we were able to make what I think were wise decisions regarding our system.  What I'd like to do here is share the reference materials that we used so that others can benefit from them, too. 

1) "Hot Water from Your Woodstove" --booklet written by Jay Lehman and sold by Lehman Hardware.  Available for purchase online here.

Includes diagrams and information about various styles of systems.

2) "Heat Water while Heating Your Home" --article by Tim King in the March/April 2011 issue of Countryside magazine.

Pictures and article about a Waterford cookstove connected to a boiler in tandem with an electric water heater.

3) "Free Hot Water from Your Wood Cookstove" --article by Patricia Greene in the January/February 2010 issue of Countryside magazine.

Pictures and article about an Oval cookstove connected to a salvaged modern water heater for the tank.  This article is available online at www.countrysidemag.com

4) "Get Tanked!  Keep Hot Water Flowing on Your Homestead" --article by Ned Wood in the July/August 2011 issue of Countryside magazine.

Pictures and article about a different Waterford cookstove hot water heating system used in conjunction with a solar system.

5) I don't even know what to call this last one.  On a Google image search using the phrase "hot water from a cookstove," I ran across a picture of a beautiful blue Oval cookstove which was connected to a boiler.  When I clicked on it, it took me here to see more detailed pictures of the Oval and boiler.  This system has an electric circulating pump connected to it.

I know that this post about hot water is pretty "dry" reading, but I hope that these materials can be of as much assistance to others as they were to me.

2 comments:

  1. OH it's not dry at all! My Husband and I have poured over your information and pictures several times and have been grateful for every single morsel! I would have to say...yours is the most detailed information I have found, to date, on this issue! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been so enthralled with it all that I have been researching components...lol! and forgot to let you know how much you are appreciated! I am also trying your white bread recipe tomorrow! can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently purchased a house with a solar water heater system connected to the boiler working as a zone. Does anyone know of a calculator or comparison chart which includes oil as a source?

    ReplyDelete