Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Four Hundred Degrees in Fifteen Minutes!

I just wanted to share a quick bit of information about one of the major differences between the Margin Gem cookstove and the other two cookstoves that I have worked with extensively.  When the Qualified range was in our house kitchen, you could always count on it taking around 45 minutes from the time that a fire was lit to the time when the oven reached 350 degrees.  The Riverside Bakewell in the summer kitchen usually takes about the same amount of time, but it is less consistent--an issue that I attribute to the considerably poorer draw in the short chimney down there.

The Margin Gem is entirely different.  Tonight, I started with a completely cold stove, lit the fire, and had a 400 degree oven in 15 minutes!  This is the second time that I have managed this.  I had heard that the Flameview Cookstove (another model manufactured by Margin Stoves) could do this, and I am pleased to find out that the Margin Gem is also capable.  In my view, this feature goes a long way toward making cooking on a woodburning cookstove a more convenient experience and certainly less of an adjustment for those who trade in their gas and electric models for this more old-fashioned method of cooking.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jim! I am glad to see you are still posting here. I think you have done an excellent job with this blog. Good information and the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Katlupe! I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the school year so that I can spend some more time blogging. So much to say, so little time!

      Delete